Friday, June 29, 2012

Dimitri Tsykalov

I have recently come across the work of this artist. You can see a lot more examples of his work over at Bored Panda, and at the artists website.

 After looking at these carved fruit and vegetables I won't be taking red cabbages for granted. It has made me think about how as Dimitri Tsykalov carves back the fruit, he is showing something hidden, which only he could see or imagine before he did the carving. His carving and art work makes the idea, and the art work, visible to the rest of us.

This is not a new idea, but this is also how we need to show our ideas to others, and make sure we are describing an idea so that to others it does not appear as an uncarved piece of fruit but as the idea we are actually trying to present. Looking at this cabbage, maybe sometimes my descriptions of ideas are more like the cabbage before the carving rather than afterwards when the skull is visible. This is making me think that I have to make sure my ideas are carved apples or cabbages, rather than with the ideas hidden.

No comments:

Post a Comment