Monday, August 1, 2016

a few thoughts on The book of haps

The Book of HapsThe Book of Haps by Kate Davies
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I had not heard about haps until I found out about this book. I am glad that I came across this as it is a lovely exploration of a very specific part of the history of knitting, and of knitting in a specific local area. This would be a great book for a Shetland public library local studies collection, and for other libraries to consider for their knitting collections.

It is exciting the way this book combines the history with new designs, based on the history. The focus on the purpose of haps, and their heritage has led to some very exciting designs from around the world, using different knitting techniques. The designs are so interesting that I foraged around at home and have already put together the makings of two haps. The challenge will be sorting out the time to make them. I look forward to learning some new techniques to be able to knit them.

A nice note to add, when this book is bought in paper, the ebook is also included. This is a very good publishing feature. I would be interested to know if they have thought of making both formats available to libraries.

This is an enjoyable read for people interested in social history.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment