Monday, April 9, 2012

I love Kickstarter

I love Kickstarter.  I never thought I would be writing this, but I do.  It is brilliant idea and ii seems to be well executed.  It is a way to crowdfund ideas that will turn into games, films, clothing, technology and more.  You can give as much, or as little, as you like to support a project.  The rewards for each project vary, and depending on the level of funding you provide for the project, the rewards increase.  You are kept well informed about each project, so that you know what is happening, and plans for the future, and when things change.

Test Plate for Kickstarter Production Run
Image from Fluid Forms

 I really like that a lot of people contributing small amounts of money can make a difference.  I have been having a lot of enjoyment from the projects I have given some money towards.  I am not a big spender, but with enough of us contributing this adds up.

I really like Kickstarter because even by giving a small amount of money to a project I can help great ideas happen.  Brian Fargo, involved in the Wasteland 2 project, which received received over twice the funding required (which means that more amazing things can be added to the project) and was funded by 37 479 people came up with idea of 'kicking it forward' (see his post on Kickstarter, and Kicking it forward), where if a Kickstarter project is profitable, the developer can decide to contribute 5% of this to any other Kickstarter project/s they like.  This will be shown by a badge on the developer site.

If you have not checked out Kickstarter yet, go and have a look, it is a great idea, helping lots of ideas happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment